Some things

From: Andrew Ritchie (object@alphalink.com.au)
Date: 04/14/99

G'day all,

I just have a questions things to raise with the list...

Has anyone implemented a 'name example' function? As in, a function that
miraculously generates names for characters who are a bit stuck? An example
of this is the name generator on 'Dragonrealms' RPG. I guess
I'm after rules the computer can understand in order to make a name that's
pronouncable.

Secondly, I was thinking about dynamic room descriptions, but I'm not sure
as to how much lag this will produce, evaluating a script everytime someone
'look's. Has anyone had experience with lag-time in this area?

Finally, the MUD I am creating at the moment is almost pure roleplay, but I
understand that a MUD is a social game and many people just want to have an
idle chat to someone else, in an out of character enviroment. I was thinking
about setting aside some taverns as OOC, but then I don't want people to go
to the tavern just to escape their IC punishments (ie, if they pkill someone
and then run straight to an OOC tavern as a haven). I also don't want people
killing people, and then simple quitting the game to avoid punishment.
Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers,

---
Andrew Ritchie,