Windows Debugging

From: Corey Elliott (strmchsr@arn.net)
Date: 04/15/99

Since we've temporarily lost our *nix account. I have been forced to work
with windows.
I'm using MSVC 5 which is actually working out very well. Last night our mud
crashed
while nothing was being done. I was the only one logged in and I had been in
the other
room, away from my PC for about 2 hours. Then I heard the *ding*. Well, I
was running
in debug mode so I did capture some output. Does anyone know of a page on
the Web
that helps with debugging in MSVC? I looked at the various documents around
the
Circle community but never found anything to help me with the actual
deciphering of
the stack output, etc.
What I captured last night was this.

**-- the stack output --**
act(char * 0x00640000, int 0x00000000, char_data * 0x01011120, obj_data *
0x00000000, void * 0x00000000, int 0x00000001) line 2218 + 9 bytes

**-- error -**
- str 0x00640000 ""
  CXX0030: Error: expression cannot be evaluated

**-- line pointed out as cause --**
- castle.c -
  case 'D':
    act(monolog[path[index] - 'A'], FALSE, ch, 0, 0, TO_ROOM);
<<<-----******

**-- line pointed out as cause in function called --**
void act(const char *str, int hide_invisible, struct char_data *ch,
  struct obj_data *obj, const void *vict_obj, int type)
{
  struct char_data *to = NULL;
  int to_sleeping;

  if (!str || !*str)     <<<------  ***Pointing to this line
    return;

This problem is really nothing big. I will, of course, not be using castle.c
in our mud,
I just haven't taken it out yet. My biggest concern here is learning to
interpret the
information above. Something is obviously wrong with the constant string
passed to
act. But how could it crash on the line it did???  Any pointers to pages
that can help
me with this would be appreciated.

Corey Elliott
strmchsr@arn.net