Re: Running MUD in Windows

From: Ron Cole (rcole@ezy.net)
Date: 06/23/99

>Dunno if this is fact or not, however, i have heard that windows
>boxes can only have an uptime for 49.7 days or something before
>they suddenly just reboot.

<RANT>
Not really a problem... Since I started needing to leave my Win98 box, at
work, on all the time, I've noticed that it starts to lose time and pause
periodically for no apparent reason.  By 2 or 3 days its losing 45 seconds
every hour.  I use a program to update the time over from a time server on
the Internet, but I have yet to make it all week without having a crash.
I've never worked with any other platform in my 20+ years where this type of
behavior would be tolerated, its just insane that they can get away with
selling crap like that...
</RANT>

So, to get back to the subject at hand, it would be a bad idea to run a mud
under Windows unless you're gonna have daily scheduled downtimes.  Perhaps NT
would work better since its (in theory) more stable.