OFF-TOPIC: Anyone using Geocities to post their code...

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 06/29/99

If anyone out there is using Geocities to post their code, please note
that Yahoo! has changed the terms of usage on the content that you store
on their web servers.  The first sentence, taken directly from the
license, follows,

    By submitting Content to any Yahoo property, you automatically grant,
    or warrant that the owner of such Content has expressly granted, Yahoo
    the royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive and fully
    sublicensable right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt,
    publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform
    and display such Content (in whole or part) worldwide and/or to
    incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now
    known or later developed.

That is, Yahoo! has granted itself free-license to use your content (code,
graphics, etc.) however, whenever, and whyever it feels.  Even further,
the grant is,

     (  i) Royalty-free : they don't have to pay you
     ( ii) Perpetual : it doesn't expire
     (iii) Irrevocable : you can't revoke the grant (i.e., deny them use)
     ( iv) Non-exclusive : i.e., not for just what is specified: it et al.
     (  v) Sublicensable : they can license it to whomever they want

I'm not a lawyer, so I'll spare trying to interpret what exactly this
means to you, whether it's retroactive, etc.  I suspect that the original
license was amendable, but I don't know if that means previously submitted
content falls under these new terms.  And, I think, in order to remove the
content, you have to agree to the new terms (simply because you can't
login otherwise).

Tripod is reportedly just as evil.

-dak