Re: OFF-TOPIC: Anyone using Geocities to post their code...

From: JoeR (joer@email.com)
Date: 06/30/99

> If anyone out there is using Geocities to post their code, please note
> that Yahoo! has changed the terms of usage on the content that you store
> on their web servers.  The first sentence, taken directly from the
> license, follows,
>
>     By submitting Content to any Yahoo property, you automatically grant,
>     or warrant that the owner of such Content has expressly granted, Yahoo
>     the royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive and fully
>     sublicensable right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt,
>     publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform
>     and display such Content (in whole or part) worldwide and/or to
>     incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now
>     known or later developed.

I use XOOM.com and I combed through their Terms of Service just cuz I was
curious.. they've got the same "boiler plate" terms:

"You grant to XOOM.com and its affiliates a royalty-free, perpetual,
irrevocable, nonexclusive, worldwide, unrestricted license to use, copy,
modify, transmit, distribute, and publicly perform or display the submitted
pages or other content for the purposes of displaying such information on
XOOM.com's sites and for the promotion and marketing of XOOM.com's services.
XOOM.com disclaims ownership of member sites and will not resell or
otherwise convey these rights to any third party."

I think all it really means is that they want to use anything that may be
upload for promotion of their service.  Like if you've got a really cool
site, then they'd like to include it in screen-shots or whatever. *shrug*
It's really no big deal.  But it does seem by comparison much less "evil"
than the Yahoo terms.. which doesn't limit this clause to simply the right
to display your works in their own advertising.  It was especially nice of
XOOM to include that last line: "XOOM.com disclaims ownership of member
sites and will not resell or otherwise convey these rights to any third
party."

SO, if you're afraid that Yahoo is going to "steal" your stuff, then it
looks like XOOM is a much better place to put up a free site.

---
Joe Rykowski ('Cyklop'), SysAdmin/Builder/Coder