Re: Skills that improve on their own

From: Fizal (amustapa@yahoo.com)
Date: 09/07/99

--- Chuck Carson <ccarson@phi.org> wrote:
> I am trying to do away with having players practice their skills and
> have them improve through use.

One of the things in my TODO list :)

> if (number(1,101) == 1)
>     // increase skill by 1
>
> If this to often? I similuated 1000's of die rolls and 1 is not that
> common but I was hoping for some 'real mud' experience.

Can't really say if it's too often or not. I've seen others using
number(0, 4) or number(0, 10) and checking for 0. This was discussed
previously I believe, but not so sure. Anyway, one of the things/issues
that was brought up was: the ability to simulate a realistic learning
curve where someone with a little knowledge of the skill will learn
more and faster compared to someone who is good in it.

So, after thinking about it, this is what I had in my mind:
   if (random number > char's skill)
     increase skill by 1;

where the random number is based on LEARNED_LEVEL. This way, if the
char is not skillful, he'll increase his skill faster. And it will
gradually lessen as he becomes more skillful in it.

One thing is for sure, it won't really stop someone from setting a
macro to use a skill 1000's time to increase it. For that I also have
something else in mind, but that's another thing :)

Any comments?

Afizal Mustapa
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
(amustapa@hotmail.com)