Re: [CODE] memory usage

From: Fafhrd (fafhrd@lvcm.com)
Date: 09/08/99

 Ah, the good old days of only needing 32 megs. Duris is at about 64 megs
now,
which is still fine, as we have 256 megs currently installed :)

An old method duris once used, was to check for dupe descrips when reading
your
data files. If its a dupe, have it point to the previous instance, rather
than
the same string twice. Oceans, roads, forests etc tend to use lots of duped
descrips, and you just may find the savings worth it.

However, I kind of like the following suggestion for compression. Once I
figure
out this threaded SMP stuff, Im going to look into that...