Re: Bug in Player State

From: Peter Ajamian (pajamian@cheapsam.com)
Date: 12/20/99

Brandon Phelps wrote:

> I don't know why it is doing this but if I'm in OLC (trigedit, medit, oedit,
> redit, sedit, etc...) and I lose my connection, when I try to reconnect
> after I type my name it says "Invalid name, please try again" instead of
> simply reconnecting me to my player.  It ONLY does this when the player
> state is not "Playing" and i've looked at the code and can't figure out what
> to do =(

This happens because a socket does not show up as being broken until an
attempt to write to it is made.  The result is that someone in OLC will
get stuck there until someone either dc's them manually, or someone uses
the 'send' command to send them some text, or the MUD is shutdown (or
crashes, etc).

Probably the simplest way to fix the problem is to find the point where
"invalid name" is sent to the player and also send a short bit of text
(or perhaps some do_nothing character) to the descriptor that is still
logged in (and therefore blocking access to the incoming player).  This
will cause the link to drop and the next attempt to log in should be
successful.

Regards, Peter