Re: Weapons casting spells.

From: Fizal (amustapa@yahoo.com)
Date: 02/05/00

At 03:16 PM 5/2/2000 +0100,  Victor Wennberg <victor.wennberg@SWIPNET.SE>
wrote:
>I've just added add_wpn_spells.txt snippet to my mud... and i
>get errors in db.c it says wsplnum first use in this function ...
>what do i need to add to get it working.

Sorry, no one's lending me their crystal ball since I'm not a pro yet. But
it sounds like you need to:
1. prototype it at the top of the file if it's a function, or
2. declare it at the top of the function if it's a var.

Take a look at what it is and decide. It would be nicer of next time you at
least attach part of the codes that's not working and the actual error
message together with your mail. Much easier for others to look at them and
see what's actually wrong.

>i removed the log file stuff because it gave me errors... please
>help me... or tell me where i can get another patch / snippet
>who is like that one.. but working :)

I don't really think that there's a patch or snippet that let you just dump
them in and works. Most of the snippets in the ftp site are based on
earlier bpl. It's true that most of them have some sort of instructions or
guide on how to add them in, but most of the time:
1. the snippet is missing some small parts of it here and there if it
involves a lot of files. Example: the prompt snippet that someone was
trying to add. The instruction mentioned that he needs to do some changes
to some files, but nothing specific.
2. the snippet has a few codes that are not a part of stock. Example: the
same prompt snippet actually has is_introd() which is part of an
introduction system, not available in stock.
3. the snippet was meant for another bpl, but with all the changes made,
you need to do some minor changes or adapt it to the current bpl to make it
work.

With patches, it can be even worse. Most of the patches are based on stock
of certain bpl. If you're using a different bpl, it'll start giving reject
files -- files that contain codes that can't be changed automatically. But
to make things worse, once a bpl is patched, it's no longer stock.
Therefore everytime you try use another patch, more and more reject files
will be created.

So, to answer your question: I think there's another one. But whether it
will be easier to work with... can't say.

The best advice that I can give to you is this: Look through the codes in
the snippet. Compare them with what you have. If they are the same, then
you're in luck. However, if there are some differences, you'll need to work
it out and try to adapt the snippet as best as you can. Make sure all vars
are declared and functions are prototyped properly. But best of all if you
can get some rough idea on how the snippet is supposed to function, it'll
definitely make you life much easier.

---

Afizal Mustapa
Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia.