Re: Mud within a mud (was Forking - a few queries)

From: Da' Kool Cat (Kool_Cat@SoftHome.net)
Date: 02/07/00

At 02:01 PM 1/12/00 -0800, you wrote:
>On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Dan Argent wrote:
>> Thought - A mud within a mud? Seems like you could have a development
>> Mud inside another sharing world and playerfiles, or am I just plain
>> wrong...?
>
>Well, there's some question as to which process handles the connections.
<snip>
>Just as useful and much more trivial would be a seperate development Mud
>running on a seperate port that your developers would connect to, or,
>even, a development Mud running with a PF_UNIX (i.e., internal to the
>computer) connection, that is connected to by the main server when a
>developer on the main server goes into "wizard" mode.
<snip>

  What if it was a seperate program than CircleMUD acting as a hub to
handle all connections and then pass them on to the fork'd CircleMUD
(modified to receive these handed down connections) to handle.  Now for a
development mud that is accessed when going into wizard mode or what have
you, the hub program passes your connection to the other fork'd mud (this
one would be maybe a building area or a testing-of-new-code area).
  I'm not much of a C or network expert (yet, heh) so I leave these ideas
to someone more knowledgeable to throw down or to take into consideration.

-Da' Kool Cat