Re: Sorry about where can I get this MUD.

From: StormeRider (silk@ici.net)
Date: 02/16/00

At 11:23 AM 2/16/00 -0600, Patrick Dughi wrote:
>         In anycase, almost every mud out there is a conglomeration which
>starts by downloading the circle mud code base, and adding on your own
>personal code as well as patches, etc.  No one is under any requirement to
>release their code to the public, or any one person, and because of the
>likely hood of copying, most don't.
>
>         If you would like to see mud implementations for circle, the best
>place to start would be in the circlemud ftp directory,
>ftp.circlemud.org/pub/CircleMUD/contrib/server.  There are a few muds in
>there.  Your chance of getting a 'live' mud though, is very very minute.
>
>                                         PjD

Completely agreed. On the ROM MUD I work on as head coder, there are certain
trusted coders that have full access, and that number is kept small (about
4). There
are other coders that we send files to, they modify, we re-integrate. This
allows us
to get the best of both worlds.

My eventual plan with my CircleMUD always has been to release the last complete
version. Ie, when I get it to "version 1" of where I want it, I release
nothing. When I
get it to "version 2", I'll release version 1... it will probably have bugs
that I have fixed,
it doesn't have all the features, and internal workings of it have probably
changed, etc.

This way I am contributing a bit back, but no way in hell would I give out
the copy that
I'm actually serving people.

--StormeRider