OLC+/Other Stuff

From: Phillip A Ames (kirk47@juno.com)
Date: 03/24/00

Hey all,

Just got a quick question about OLC+...  Are there any plans to create a
new version of it that takes advantage of Oasis 2.0's genolc features,
etc.?  I'm sort of dilly-dallying on adding OLC+ to my MUD if there's
soon to be a "new and improved" version of it, so I figured I'd ask.

ObCircle:
What do you guys think of players getting "salaries" ?  What I mean by
this is, when the player is creating a character, they get to pick a
career track/job(i.e. medical(doctors, nurses, paramedics), law(lawyers,
judges, interns), etc. etc.) and then every time that they roll over
24(arbitrary number, this is just my first guess) hours of playtime(i.e.
"You have played 1 day and 0 hours") they get a paycheck(item) that they
have to go cash(turn into a mob w/a spec proc or something) that gives
them their annual salary?  I think that that might be a bit more
realistic and moving away from the hack'n'slash theme thats in so many
MUDs today, but the problem I can see with it is that the player would
get money even if they were completely isolated from the rest of the
world.  Another possible implementation of this would be to make spec
proc's for rooms that will recognize a "work" command, and set the player
to STATE_WORKING between hours 6 and 20, and then in the heartbeat()
function, every MUD hour go through the list of players and increment the
number of hours that they've been working if they're in the STATE_WORKING
state, then if they reach 8 working hours, increment their money by a
variable in their pfile called salary, restore their working to 0, and
perhaps do a random number check for whether or not they performed
poorly, average, or excellent, and increase/decrease their pay based on
performance(perhaps charisma could come into play here, if they were
waiters/politicians?).  This is the implementation that I'm leaning
towards.  What are your thoughts on the subject?

-Phil

Phillip Ames       | AOL IM: Grathol  | ICQ: 8778335 |
"I will break you into pieces, hold you up for all the
world to see, what makes you think you are better than
me?" -Everclear, Like A California King, 1997