Re: Infinite Loops

From: Zeavon (zeavon@kilnar.com)
Date: 05/01/00

On Sun, 30 Apr 2000, Chris Gilbert wrote:

> It's already in there, signal_setup in comm.c has the section that sets
> up a virtual timer, after 3 minutes it checks for tics=0, if it doesn't
> it sets it to 0, and then 3 minutes later checks again.  In theory the
> mud would reboot after 6 minutes at most.

Seems to me that this would only catch near-infinite loops. Since an
infinite loop lasts forever, the timer in comm.c will never be reached.

The only way I can see this working is if the mud were multi-threaded and
you had a guarddog thread to watch over all of the others to make sure
that none of them were stuck. However, I've never done any multi-threaded
work, so this is just a blind theory.

--
Zeavon Calatin, MageMaster of the Realms
Spear of Insanity