Re: Modulizing "Added Spells, Skills, Commands, etc"

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 08/19/00

On Sat, 19 Aug 2000, Daniel A. Koepke wrote:

>> The boundary between C and C++ is rather thin, ...
>
>Only if you ignore a real object oriented design and the main benefits and
>powers of C++.  That's not my interest and while I can't speak for the
>other developers, I doubt it's theirs either.  So anything short of a
>complete redesign and reimplmentation of CircleMUD in C++ is not a
>consideration.  Otherwise we're raising the requirements for using and
>programming with CircleMUD, while not gaining any significant benefit.

If we wanted complete hand-holding, we'd do it in Java or Perl where you
have no chance to cause the assorted memory corrupting bugs that people
inevitably hit due to inexperience with such allocations and management.
Such a MUD would be interesting and easy to integrate with an SQL server
moreso than C. I'm not sure of the practicality though. I do know it'd make
parsing a snap based on the inherent string handling. With Perl you could
even do some ad-hockery and make all of your internal functions redefinable
at run-time.  Again, it might be cool, but useful?

But it's entirely too early to decide on anything.  Need to pick up LaTeX
documentation first.

--
George Greer
greerga@circlemud.org