Re: Ports

From: Patrick Dughi (dughi@imaxx.net)
Date: 09/09/00

> C over C++? ewwwwwww...

        No comment on that bit.

> Actually I don't see at all how that's faster, or better in any way.  If
> there's one thing that's relly pissed me off since I started coding muds
> it's the lack of any real design.  (Which actually surprised me, before I'd
> ever seen a large system done without OOP and all that design crap I didn't
> really like OOP or anything.  But now that I have it's really made me
> appreciate it.) Everything just looks thrown together (especially OLC,) and
> it's tough as hell to modify.  Perhaps just my opinion, but I'd rather have
> waited a little (or a lot) longer for you to produce a well designed, easily
> extensible editor than have one that's just thrown together.

        Funny, circle at least is rather decently organized.

        On the other hand, while muds are rather decent candidates for
object oriented design via C++ classes, it is an investment between time
and design.  There is no implicit declaration that writing something using
c++ instead of C will result in quality.  In my opinion, it's far easier
to write something that's lousy in C++ simply because you don't take
advantage of all the things that make life simple, like templates/STL.

        All you end up with is the slight memory bloat with C++ vs. C and
other relevant issues.

        In this case though, it makes it incredibly easy for both myself,
and others to use the pre-existing c code.  With the exception of
replacing str_dup's with _stridup's (and a few others like that, since I
didn't copy in all of the utilities), it was cut and paste, compile and
go.
        This means that alot of the relevant changes people make to their
systems will be also nearly directly copyable.  The won't have to learn
how to insert class members, with accessor functions or all that jazz.
They can get a working product right away, by copying code they already
know works.

                                PjD