Re: [QUESTION][NEWBIE?] Ascii vs. Binary player files?

From: Todd Laycock (tlayco1@uic.edu)
Date: 10/01/00

On Sun, 1 Oct 2000, Adam Scriven wrote:

:Hey all.
:
:I've been scouring the snippets and code contrib section, looking for
:stuff that I want that's already been written.  A couple of things
:(fancier prompts, for instance), reference ascii player files.
:
:So, why would someone choose ascii player files?  Obviously someone who
:has shell access and write access can easily hack the player files, which
:could be a plus, but are there any other reasons?

Ascii pfiles make it easier to add new fields to be saved.  You don't have
to convert your binary pfiles every time you add a new field, you just add
a new line and default value to the ascii pfiles.  And if something gets
screwed up in one player's file, you can open it in any text editor and
fix it most likely.

:Also, I can't find anything that allows me to migrate from binary to ascii
:player files.  What am I missing?

There's a converter included with the patch if I'm not mistaken...  it's
been a while since I installed ascii pfiles, but I think it's
included. :)

:Thanks!
:Adam