Re: [QUESTION][NEWBIE?] Ascii vs. Binary player files?

From: Peter Ajamian (peter@pajamian.dhs.org)
Date: 10/01/00

Adam Scriven wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 01, 2000 at 09:23:50PM -0500, Shane Lee wrote:
> > Just make sure that all the passwords are encrypted, or there might
> > be a larger security problem than you can imagine.
>
> Can the mud handle crypted passwords?  I suppose the code to add that in
> probably isn't rocket science, so it probably could.

Yep, in fact it already does stock provided that your platform supports
it with the various correct libraries.  The Configure script checks for
crypt support and turns it on automatically.

> Actually, security isn't a real issue, at least not more than any other
> system, since I'm on an ADSL link, on a home network, where I control
> everything including the firewall.

You'd be surprised

> Running a mud out of my house is a DREAM!
> Especially since I get 100baseT access.
> *evil laugh*

Yep, sure is ;-)

> On Sun, Oct 01, 2000 at 10:05:52PM -0500, Todd Laycock wrote:
> > On Sun, 1 Oct 2000, Adam Scriven wrote:
> > :Also, I can't find anything that allows me to migrate from binary to ascii
> > :player files.  What am I missing?
> >
> > There's a converter included with the patch if I'm not mistaken...  it's
> > been a while since I installed ascii pfiles, but I think it's
> > included. :)
>
> Now, I must be blind, because I can't find an ascii-pfile patch for Linux
> anywhere.  I see the one for Windows, but since it specifies windows, I
> assumed it was the wrong one for me.

http://www.circlemud.org/pub/CircleMUD/contrib/code/ascii_pfiles-2.0b-fixed.tar.gz

Regards, Peter