Re: Random Thought

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 10/11/00

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Tony Robbins wrote:

>This would not really cause a problem per se, it just means that every
>typo involves a full iteration check of every single (I believe--Circle
>doesn't use any other searching algorithm, does it?) command and social.
>If you're going to do this, at least make sure you're using a better
>search algorithm like binary search--you'll just have to make sure
>everything is sorted before you start, or else you won't get very far.

Sorting messes up command abbreviations.  You could probably get away with
a 26+e element array (or something fancier, tr[ei]e?) that used another
searching construct for the later commands.  You won't find 'look' for a
command starting with 'c', for example.

I'd recommend fancier if you're concerned about it. How many cycles out of
the 10 per second do you think people execute a command?  The worst case I
can think of is when someone speedwalks and slams 40-50 movement commands
into the system.  The average person is either resting, talking, exploring,
or watching a fight. I wouldn't spend a lot of time on it...

--
George Greer
greerga@circlemud.org