Re: [OPTIMIZATION] RAM (previously: Random Thought)

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 10/11/00

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Fizal wrote:

>The world swap patch that you mentioned:
>
>http://www.circlemud.org/pub/CircleMUD/contrib/code/wldswp.patch

Yeah, that's the one.  It's not the model of beauty or speed but it does
what it was intended very well, reduce memory.

>Downloaded a copy and changed it a year or so ago to include obj/mob desc
>and extra desc for obj/room as well.

Ah! Someone is actually using it. :) I considered it a proof-of-concept
for others to base their own work on.  It exemplifies the CPU/memory
tradeoff I mentioned earlier.  It re-opens the file on every access to
prevent any sort of caching from being charged to the MUDs memory.  This
makes it much slower than simply keeping the file open, which I would do in
a sane implementation.

>Also changed the accessing method. But all in all it definitely killed
>the memory usage by more than half :)

Fixed-length binary file?
How big of a world?
Any noticeable extra CPU use?