Re: Ascii Player Files

From: Ben C (europa@vt.edu)
Date: 10/18/00

At 09:34 AM 10/18/00 -0700, you wrote:
>   I'll be the first to admit that my coding knowledge is a step below
>par, though I made three days (approx. 12 hours) worth of attempts
>trying to get different ascii player files to work for CircleMUD30bpl17
>on a Windows system using MSVC.  I even gave my hand at trying to port
>over the "Fixed Ascii Pfiles 2.0", to no avail, I'm back to square one
>again.
>
>   This post is a plea for anyone whom may have made a documentation for
>adding ascii player files for Windows based on bpl17.  I've tried the
>one that was posted for Windows, and on top of it missing quite a bit of
>detail for different functions that use char_file_u, it also is for
>bpl11. Normally I wouldn't ask, and flame as you may (through private
>email, not the list), but I've felt I put in my time trying, searching
>the different CircleMUD resource pages, reading code, and coding, to
>finally throw my hands up and admit I'm in over my head.

   I've ported the "fixed ascii pfiles" jive to windoze.  The only portability
issue that I ran into (at least, that I can remember:P) is the diskio.c.
Personally, I think the idea of integrating file-buffering *beta* software
into a patch that most MUDs are going to want was half-baked.  Anyway...
here's my portable version of diskio.c.

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/bcartwri/temp/diskio.c

--Ben C