Re: Regions / Limited Communication

From: Jason Beeland (jbeeland@bellsouth.net)
Date: 10/23/00

I have wrestled with this a lot myself, as I am gearing twards a more complex mud myself.  My solution is currently bouncing between two thoughts.  1) use radios.  My mud is technology based so it would be in character to use radios to communicate.  This will allow people to use differing channels and such to communicate with their friends while still hampering global communication to a degree.  It also adds in an amount of uncertainty as others could listen in if they tuned to your channel.  I might also add in "encrypting" radios at soem point also.  This solution would be the best from a RP standpoint on a technology based mud I think.

2) Have global communication only work from special  locations.  A "broadcast point" of some sort where players can congregate and speak to all other players who are at a "broadcast point".  This again limits it without destroying it totally.

Just a few thoughts, do with them as you will.

Veritus Silverun

(btw, sorry for any formatting problems, stuck using my isp's webmail for now and it sucks.)