Re: [HELP] Backstab crashing

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@circlemud.org)
Date: 01/26/01

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, FRASHiE wrote:

> So.. oh.. ya, this has to be a stock bug too.. so if George reads
> this.. I'm reporting it.. or whatever.

It's not a stock bug.  Please either download a stock version of CircleMUD
or view the complete distribution online at

  http://www.circlemud.org/pub/CircleMUD/3.x/uncompressed/circle30bpl17/

before reporting something as a bug in the stock code.

There's no hit(ch, vict, TYPE_UNDEFINED); call in do_backstab(). There are
two approxiamate matches:

    act("$n notices $N lunging at $m!", FALSE, vict, 0, ch, TO_NOTVICT);
    hit(vict, ch, TYPE_UNDEFINED);
    return;
  }

when attacking an aware mob and,

  else
    hit(ch, vict, SKILL_BACKSTAB);

when you hit.  No damage is ever dealt prior to these two, so neither
attacker nor victim can die before these two.  In other words: you've
messed something up.  Check your changes against the clean stock version
found at the URL above.  If you have no idea, then try sending us the
relevant do_backstab() code.

A debugger, BTW, is a much better resource than a list of 366 people.

-dak