Re: [IDEA] Turn Based Combat

From: Michael Gesner (dabion@WPI.EDU)
Date: 03/15/01

Well... I guess I should throw in my two cents...  One thing that has
worked well for us in RD for reading our scoreboard in multiplayer games
(in fact in paging altogether) is to queue tells and messages so that a
player who is paging will not miss them.  You could implement a history of
tells and such so that the player can fight and not deal with those
messages.

You can take it a step further and have the player sending the tell recieve
a message that says "PlayerA is currently in combat and cannot hear you!"

If you want to have talk between players in combat... then you can add a
"taunt" to your menu system... the player will effectively taunt the other
player... whether its simple chat, or really meant to annoy... the command
would serve its purpose.

Getting back to the idea of clearing the screen... I suppose this is
plausible... but something that just came to mind might be something else
to consider.

Say you have advanced players who want to get through fights quickly... and
the scroll/reset is too much...

make a short menu..

something like

(1. Attack, 2. Defend, 3. Flee)

And attach it above the prompt.

This combat option would be a flag that the player sets... like a brief
description.  So that they can log their combat (I log everything I do in
the MUD's that I play) and can quickly combat eachother on a still turn
based system.

Another thing that might be a good idea to implement, would be a help
system contained within the combat menu itself.  Rather than putting the
help in the "help" file, you can add a menu option for help on the commands
themselves.  We have a help system for our OLC contained within each editor
so that terraformers can quickly get the information they need on whatever
menu option they do not understand.

My two cents,

Michael Gesner
Lodaren of Rhu-Dina'ar