Re: NEWBIE: Does anyone have circlemud30bpl17 with OasisOLCv2.0 and DG Scripts patched in?

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@circlemud.org)
Date: 06/19/01

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Abraham Dizon wrote:

> Does anyone have Circlemud30bpl17 with OasisOLCv2.0, DG Scripts bpl17,
> clans, and social editor patched into it?

Oh, for crying out loud.  I'm guessing others are about to flame you or
already have.  You certainly deserve it.  I'm going to provide you an
answer, though.

You see, there's this mystical and magical thing called the CircleMUD FTP
site.  You know that Mailing List FAQ that you were sent when you
subscribed to the mailing list?  You know the one that is linked to at the
bottom of each e-mail sent to the list?  You know that one?

Well, it points you to the CircleMUD FTP site for a variety of resources.
So I feel somewhat justified when I say, "Shouldn't you have looked at the
CircleMUD FTP site?"  Obviously, you didn't look.

I got your question and immediately thought to go to

  http://www.circlemud.org/pub/CircleMUD/contrib/server

    (or, if you prefer FTP)

  ftp://ftp.circlemud.org/pub/CircleMUD/contrib/server

I knew this is where the contributed servers are stored off the top of my
head.  But if I didn't, I'd probably think to look for the contributions
of others in the contrib/ directory (and, indeed, the index says that's
where they are) and then see the server/ directory and think maybe the
servers are there (as the index says they are).  Once in the server/
directory, I saw a good sized list of contributed servers.  One of them
sort of stuck out as maybe being the answer to your question since it was
named circlebpl17-OasisAsciiHedit.tar.gz.  I looked at the README and it
said that it's a convenience package of 3.0bpl17 with a number of common
items patched in, including Oasis 2.0, DG Scripts 7a, ASCII pfiles, etc.

Imagine that.

It took less than a minute for me to find it.  It took a few more minutes
to write this message.  It probably took you a few minutes to write yours.
Add in the time it took to deliver your message.  And then for me to see
it and read it.  Now add in the time it took to deliver my message.  And
then for you to see it and read it.  Finally, add in the time it's going
to take you to go and fetch what I just pointed out.

Compare this sum with the amount of time it would have taken you to have
bothered to READ THE @#@!ing FAQ as you were supposed to when you joined
the list and then maybe have bothered to LOOK FOR YOURSELF TO SEE WHAT WAS
ALREADY AVAILABLE.  I'm guessing it wouldn't have taken a smart fellow
like yourself much longer than it took me to look these things up.  I'm
guessing it would have taken you 5, maybe 10, minutes.

So time-wise things aren't looking so good for you to completely ignore
the possibility of looking for yourself.  Now consider that you sent 300+
people your message asking for information that's sitting right in front
of your face...

Excuse me if I got a bit testy there, but I'm sure you can understand the
frustration in seeing someone waste everyone's time (including his or her
own).  Please, please, please read the Mailing FAQ.  Okay?

--
Daniel A. Koepke (dak), dkoepke@circlemud.org
Caveat emptor: I say what I mean and mean what I say.  Listen well.