Re: NEWBIE: Some newbie questions.

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@circlemud.org)
Date: 06/20/01

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Thomas Jones wrote:

> Does anyone have any recommendations on MUST HAVE patches before I
> start mucking around with the code.  I'm assuming that the more I
> change the code the more trouble I'll have patching later.

Everything by me.

No, kidding, actually.  More seriously, the general recommendation is that
you don't auto-patch anything, so it's not that big of a concern.  People
continue to provide things in the .diff format, and that's good (let's say
you want to test what a patch does on a clean CircleMUD before you start
integrating it with your Mud, etc.), but you're always encouraged to sit
down and read the patches, adding things to the code as necessary.  The
reasons for this

  1) It eliminates versioning problems, handling .rej files, etc.

  2) You get to see what the patch is doing and where it is doing it.

  3) You'd be surprised how quickly you can learn the code layout when
     you see where particular functionality needs to be added.

Now more towards the information you were looking for.  You probably want
a means of online editing your world and for that you'll probably want to
fetch OasisOLC 2.0, which is a nice menu driven package.  You may want
ASCII pfiles -- these are available from the FTP site as well.  You may
want a means to easily script your mobile's behaviors from within the game
and for that you'll probably want DG Scripts.  If you're going to be doing
a lot of expansion, you may consider following the recent discussion of
migrating the types of bitvectors to GNU/C99's unsigned long long[1] or
the 128-bit patch from the FTP site or, if you're feeling particularly
sharp, converting everything to bitfields, instead.

> Any other suggestions for a complet newbie (at least concerning mud
> coding that is) would also be appreciated.

Ask questions if you really need help.  But ask yourself if you really
need help, first.  (I love English -- two sentences, similary phrased,
with a vastly different meaning. :)  Search the archives for any stuff you
might consider asking.

--
Daniel A. Koepke (dak), dkoepke@circlemud.org
Caveat emptor: I say what I mean and mean what I say.  Listen well.