Re: [CODE] Ascii pfiles and autowiz

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@circlemud.org)
Date: 06/21/01

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Mike Breuer wrote:

> Are you sure you mean those last 5 words?  :)

Well, it's certainly not impossible (or, even, unlikely) for me to be
wrong.  So, yeah, I meant, "I might be wrong."  :)

> What actually makes the most sense is dependant on individual
> implementation.

True, to an extent.  But any time you're dealing with text files, you'd
probably be better suited to let the OS do whatever esoteric magic it
wants to do with text files behind the scenes.  You certainly don't want
to find the task of recovering from a bug that has caused some bad data to
be written to an open world file compounded by your choice to type an
extra 'b' throughout your code.

So, except in the event where you're going to be moving the files between
platforms with different text file policies and you're really deadset
against (or just can't use) traditional conversion utilities/FTP, it's
probably not worth burning the bridge just to know that the data is always
read and written in raw mode.

And, then again, maybe not even in that event, since if you then transfer
the files in ASCII mode by FTP to a Windows machine, you've silently added
a bunch of carriage returns ('\r') to your room descriptions, etc.

--
Daniel A. Koepke (dak), dkoepke@circlemud.org
Caveat emptor: I say what I mean and mean what I say.  Listen well.