Re: do_set check

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 07/11/01

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Daniel A. Koepke wrote:

>  -   } else if (is_file) {
>  +   } else if ((vict = get_player_vis(ch, name, FIND_CHAR_WORLD))) {
>  +     /* 'set file' on an online player works like 'set player' */
>  +     is_file = 0;
>  +   } else {
>
>That is, if we have 'set file' and the player is online and visible, then
>ignore the is_file flag (turn it off).

While I can't think of a reason other than perhaps password to write to the
file while someone is online, I consider it rather rude to silently change
the command that was asked for. I would say give them a warning only "This
person is already online and the changes will most likely not be reflected
in the player file.  Remove them from the game first." Still do the write
though.

>Anyone see any problems with this change?  Can anyone think of a reason
>to leave it as is?  (The reason to change it, I guess, is that 'set file'
>on an online player will have no real result, except a disk read and disk
>write, but the committed changes will be overwritten and the online
>player won't reflect the changes.  Thus, 'set file' on an online player
>is an effective non-op.)

All I can think of is changing the password so someone cannot log into the
account while they're online, until they log off or it saves. Admittedly a
rather weak situation.

--
George Greer
greerga@circlemud.org