Re: [NEWBIE]SKILL_SECOND_ATTACK

From: Patrick Dughi (dughi@imaxx.net)
Date: 07/12/01

> Hey Coders.
>         Here I am again, ok now i'm trying to implement a system that will give
> the warriors the possibility to do 2 attacks pre round, but i'm having some
> dificultties to make it. I downloaded all the patches and diffs and txts
> relacionated with that but i couldn't understand it. If anyone have some
> clues and tips to me I'll be greatfull.

        I believe there's a 'how to patch' listing at,
http://developer.circlemud.org/patches/handpatch.html.  As for actually
putting it in, since you're a new programmer, I'd suggest the following:

        1. Get familiar with the code that's going to be changed.  Try to
understand the execution flow.  If it helps, you can even draw a flow
diagram.

        2. Make a few minor changes. Go slow.  Use the 'log' function and
'send_to_char' functions to give you instant feedback (though you should
eventually put "learn how to use gdb" on your to-do list).

        3. When you're ready for the big time, go ahead and do your
patches; but BY HAND.  Unless you really REALLY know what you're doing,
auto-patching can mess you up so badly you will never fix it.  Go through
line by line, so you know what code you put in, and what that code does.
That way, when it crashes (and it will), you have some idea of the code
involved at least.

        That'll save yah the non-helpfulness of saying 'learn to program'
and running off, but if you don't know how to program well enough to
understand any one single line by itself, you're not going to be able to
start at step one....

                                                PjD