Re: New rules for CircleMUD?

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 08/14/01

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Tony Robbins wrote:

>I applied this patch which I thought was bpl19 to my CircleMUD (I replaced
>the main() function), and now all my MUD does is display the 12 days of
>Christmas!  Can you please help!  I tried restoring from backup but my tape
>drive ate the tape.  Any ideas?  BTW, there's a misspelling:
>
>   On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me
>   a partridge in a per tree.

You think I was going to try to fix it?! :)  There's probably a version
somewhere with that fixed but I had mine from comp.lang.c.moderated years
ago.

>ObCircle:
>I played with the parser.c file that was contributed way back when, a couple
>days ago.  For those of you unfamiliar, it works as follows:
>
>"I am [a fish.\a goat.\Great Teacher Largo!]"

Mixing documents with executable code is a bad idea.  JavaScript, Visual
Basic Macros, etc. On their own they're not bad but thrown them right into
a document and the fun ensues.

>After being parsed, will return one of: "I am a fish.", "I am a goat.",
>or "I am Great Teacher Largo!"

Or Pirogoeth (both versions), which proves why I'm a programmer, not an
artist.

><q>
>  <o source="character.intelligence <= 5">
>  </o>
>  <o source="character.intelligence <= 10">
>present.</p>
>  </o>
>  <o>

Might as well write a special procedure triggered on "look". Or make some
scripting language (e.g., DG Scripts) do that.

--
George Greer
greerga@circlemud.org