Re: Umm, what did I do?

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@circlemud.org)
Date: 08/31/01

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Shane Lee wrote:

> Umm, my MUD won't clear the port after a crash for some time. When it
> tries to boot back up after a reboot or SEGFAULT, I get a "can't bind
> to address: in use" kinda message. So I played around with it
> manually, shutting down the game and rebooting it, and it takes
> anywhere from 15 seconds to a minute or more before I can reboot the
> game. I don't even know what I did wrong, since all I've been messing
> with is descriptors and copyover.

Ensure that you are still setting the SO_REUSEADDR socket option on the
server socket when it's created with setsockopt().  Sockets usually don't
die right away.  By design.  This is normally for outgoing sockets.
Listening sockets should have SO_REUSEADDR set on them so that they can
bind back to the address they've just vacated on death.

-dak