Re: [LICENSE] Open Gaming License and the d20 system

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 10/21/01

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, Artovil wrote:

>How would this go together with the CircleMUD/Diku licenses?

I don't believe Diku meets the Open Source Definition of a free license so
you'd have to leave all of the game definitions in separate data files.

That'd mean your mechanics would have to rely on reading files like:

--- 8< --- paladin_advancement.mech --- 8< ---
Paladin:
LEVEL   BAB     FORT    REF     WILL    SPECIAL
1       1       2       0       0       D_E, D_G, L_O_H, D_H
2       2       3       0       0       A_O_C, S_E
--- 8< --- 8< ---

--- 8< --- paladin_skills.mech --- 8< ---
Concentration
Craft
Diplomacy
--- 8< --- 8< ---

--- 8< --- paladin_special.mech --- 8< ---
What    When            How
D_E     AT_WILL         DIVINE_DETECT_EVIL
D_G     ALWAYS          APPLY_CHA_BONUS_TO_SAVING_THROWS
L_O_H   1/DAY           HEAL_CHA_BONUS_TIMES_LEVEL, TOUCH_UNDEAD_PALADIN
D_H     ALWAYS          APPLY_IMMUNE_DISEASE
--- 8< ---

and then those files would be interpreted by your MUD to give the
abilities.  You'd likely not have to use exact quotations from the Open
Gaming SRD, but you need to make whatever you do use available.  Lots of
parsing to do.

>Could I use the d20 system if I simply had snippets of the mechanic
>aspects added on our homepage?  Would that be sufficient?

No, since the web page description and the game may not match up.

My Secret Project #2 needs a gaming system. Maybe if they're open enough by
then I can use their ruleset.  They have a fairly good set of rules and the
world does not need yet more systems.

--
George Greer
greerga@circlemud.org