Re: WebOLC

From: Artovil (artovil@arcanerealms.org)
Date: 11/26/01

At 17:16 2001-11-26 -0500, you wrote:
> > I have a semi-working WebOLC.  Though, I use MySQL, so I am not editing
> > textfiles.  I use it for help files, as well as my configuration, and basic
> > zone information as of now, will extend as I have the time.  If you also
> > run on MySQL perhaps you should just wait for me to release this.  That is
> > if you don't have to do it yourself. :)
>
>Well... MySQL would be used as the "working" copy.  You edit the text
>files after you commit.
>
>OR... depending on how you have your MUD implemented, you may already HAVE
>MySQL as your zone reference.
>
>Either way... its a good idea to have this flexible enough to output in a
>series of forms.  Its really just writing in an extra function to your
>class.
>
> > The approval system is a really good idea, and I will bear that in mind and
> > "steal" that idea for my WebOLC package that I will probably release in
> > addition to my handpatch of MySQL.  I have no real dateline for this, since
> > I am quite busy at work.  But, I have everything done in the "common" OLC
> > but for shops and zones, and I expect to have these done by the end of the
> > year.
>
>I may one-up ya on that number.  I already have MySQL classes for my PHP
>scripts done.  Its just a matter of putting in the formats and writing the
>webforms.

[deletia]

My code is not Object Oriented at all.  Perhaps we should put together a
developer group for this project, and somebody, like you, could manage
it?  I wonder if Sourceforge.net would let us set that up?  Since the PHP
project just uses MySQL it would be safe under the GPL as far as I know.  I
am very interested in this, and if we can manage to get this one on the
track I think it will be a great tool!

So, if you are interested, I am game, and I will help develop the
thing.  Would of course be totally modular, with classes for database
hookup, help files, interface langauge, and other things.  We could also
use a form of session auth system that would enable you to have admins and
regular builders, and this would be good for an approval system.

I would love to do the GD libs part, I love that kind of stuff.

Also, the Flash client would not be intense.  It wouldn't take up many Kb,
and it would certainly not be processor intense, and most browsers have
Flash already in them.  But, that is an optional, of course, we could add
in a side-by-side system using JavaScript or something.

Kind regards,
/Artovil