Re: CVS Read Access?

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 04/19/02

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, The Fungi wrote:

>fungi:~/cvs$ cvs -d:pserver:cvs@cambot.circlemud.org:/home/circledb/cvs login
>(Logging in to cvs@cambot.circlemud.org)
>CVS password:
>cvs [login aborted]: connect to cambot.circlemud.org:2401 failed: Connection
> timed out
>
>I also get the same behavior with CVS_RSH=/usr/bin/ssh or even just
>trying to telnet to 2401/tcp.

You don't need CVS_RSH because you're not using an authenticated login. I
would use CVS_RSH because I have a local account to write to the
repository.

>I can (and do) cvs up other projects from this machine successfully so I
>seriously doubt it's a problem on my end (but then again, I've been wrong
>before). Maybe cvs isn't listening on cambot? Or maybe it's bound to a
>nonstandard port? Or maybe hosts.deny (or an ACL on
>mathsci--mathsci.backbone.ucla.net) just doesn't like us lowlife plebs...

It looks to be port blocked somewhere because I can (and did) pull down the
source code with the 2401 port for the example above, except with
'localhost'.  I can't tell you where it's port blocked because I'm not root
on Cambot so I can't see the firewall rules.  You'll have to ask Jeremy
there. I suspect it might be UCLA; they installed a Cisco PIX recently.

--
George Greer
greerga@circlemud.org