Re: Graphical Bar Code?

From: Thomas Arp (t_arp@stofanet.dk)
Date: 07/28/02

From: "Torgny Bjers" <artovil@ARCANEREALMS.ORG>
> On 02-07-27 13.19, "Thomas Arp" <t_arp@STOFANET.DK> wrote:
> > From: "Torgny Bjers" <artovil@ARCANEREALMS.ORG>
> >>>
> > <snip of casting sequence> >>
> >>
> >> This now is a piece of cake if you put in pl8 of DG Scripts since they
now
> >> contain the full DG Events package.  Or just download DG Events 1.1 (I
> > think
> >> that's the latest version) from the developer site.
> >
> > Be advised, that though the DG events package is included, it doesn't
> > implement timed spells or fight events. The full package is included
> > to ease expansion only.
> >
> > Welcor
>
> No, but couldn't you create an event object and store the casting sequence
> strings in it and have event system call that event every 5 seconds or
> something?

Easily. I just didn't add that _particular_ functionality.

> Just like normal DG Events? What kind of event package did you
> implement?  Not the standard DG Events 1.1 found on the developer site?

DG Events 1.1. The 'events' previously implemented into the DG script
patches was a crippled version, since all that was needed was the
'wait' function. However, since this made expansion a bit tedious
- one needed to change the way events as such was defined, if one wanted
to expand - I added the 'DG events 1.1' to the DG script patch.

This only has an effect on the way events are enqueued/created, and
doesn't add any 'new' functionality. Keeping in mind with the spirit
of circlemud, the aim of this addition was to facilitate the expansion
with fight-, shutdown- and spellcastingevents(etc), not to force anyone
using the DG script package to use fightevents etc.

That said, the addition, seen from a performance view, means the code
runs a tiny bit slower when few events are scheduled (for instance, if
only the 'wait' command enqueues events), but very much faster if many
events are scheduled (ie. if several game features are run by the event
engine). I haven't calculated an O() factor, but Mark A. Heilperns idea
of using an array of priority queues instead of a list, increases speed
by a large factor, when dealing with many events.

I hope I cleared up any misunderstandings.

Welcor