Counting elements in a bitvector?

From: Mark Garringer (zizazat@HOTMAIL.COM)
Date: 08/26/02

I'm not even sure if what I want to do makes sense or if I'm using the
right constructs to accomplish this goal, but I am looking for some advice.

I am trying to change the CLASS system to a GUILD system. Rather than just
being a WARRIOR or a THIEF, I can join the WARRIOR GUILD and pick up a
WARRIOR flag. Join the MAGE guild, pick up a MAGE flag etc...

I have already created a new bitvector group for the guilds I wish to use,
and plan to create new guild master procedures to allow joining and leaving
guilds etc.

What I would like to do is based on the number of guilds you are in, use
that as a modifier to the generic XP formula. But how would I go about
counting the number of guild flags that the player has?

Thanks for the advice!

--Ziz