Re: [OT] [server] assorted problems with red hat 7.2

From: The Fungi (fungi@yuggoth.org)
Date: 10/31/02

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 03:23:56PM +0000, Ben D Heise wrote:
> problem 1: the installation is always different. I installed red
> hat 7 times, and each time one menu or another was/wasnt there. (I
> thought only windows randomly creates new features?) this is more
> of a complaint.

WARNING: VERY OFF TOPIC

I've had too many problems with RedHat to even bother keeping count.
It's a matter of personal preference, but for a Linux distribution
that's geared toward software development, Debian is the way to go.
I do all my MUD development on Debian. I even provide a Debian
packaging structure (known to Debanites as a "source package")
complete with CircleMUD build and install scripts free for download
(see http://srmud.net/src/shadowrealm.readme for information). They
are provided mostly as an example to work from so you can use
Debian's package build and management utilities to compile, install,
upgrade and uninstall your MUD.

It's great. I do my development on an Intel 32-bit architecture but
can autobuild and install with zero effort on my Sun Ultra
Enterprise 2, my Personal DECstation 5000/25, my SGI Indy O2
Webforce, Macintosh Celera, G3 iMac, et cetera. It even allows you
to use a FreeBSD or NetBSD kernel or even a HURD microkernel instead
of Linux (though these are still in the experimental stages).
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); PGP(9E8DFF2E4F5995F8FEADDC5829ABF7441FB84657);
SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); IRC(fungi@irc.yuggoth.org#ccl); ICQ(114362511);