Re: Circle 4.x wish list

From: Mysidia (jmhess@i-55.com)
Date: 11/25/02

> Besides that, it does not matter if it is MySQL or Postgres, since any
> external database would just add too much unneeded overhead. I do not even
> want to imagine to access a database in some time-critical heartbeat()
> function (e.g. mobact.c)

That is by no means clear.  Some databases would indeed add too
much overhead to be accessed in time-critical functions, but most
databases are fast enough for this.

Just rule out anything that requires the mud to convert queries
to SQL or some other textual query language and use something like
BerkeleyDb or GDBM.

Also, there is such a thing as caching results for time-critical
functions.

Yes, it's more complicated, but yes, there are benefits: one of
them being persistency.

-Mysid