Re: Circle 4.x wish list

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 11/25/02

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Mysidia wrote:

>Would circle 4.x be just an add-on for circle 3.x still based on Diku
>code, or would it be a complete rewrite?

A 4.x would likely be a complete rewrite, but that doesn't mean we can't
release 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, etc. in the meantime.

>I tend to think the Diku code is old and crufty, and that it ought to be
>replaced with something new and shiny, redesigned "the right way" (tm)

The trick is figuring out what "the right way" is.  If I knew that for
certain I'd have started it already.

>After all, if a mud uses an external DB like a SQL one, it _should_ use
>that DB to store its persistent state too (ie: player data, object data,
>world data, world state [ie: which mobs are still alive, what objects are
>on the ground in various rooms, etc]),

There's no reason you couldn't use a BerkeleyDB for some data, SQL for
other data, and even shared memory segments for some.  It all depends on
what you need done.

>and use of the DB, should for example eliminate the need for a player
>'save' command or even an olc zonesave command,

One nice thing about Oasis' two-stage saving is that it's possible to have
an 'undo' function.  Not easy with CircleMUD's too-simple-for-own-good
database loader, but possible.

>and eliminate the need for automatic zone resets on bootup (since 'world
>state' can be saved).

... which is really fun if that persistant world state is what is causing
the crashes in the first place.  So you still need the capability to do
zone resets on bootup because you might have had to flush the state to get
it back up.

--
George Greer
greerga@circlemud.org