Re: [OasisOLC] Addition For 2.3

From: Torgny Bjers (artovil@arcanerealms.org)
Date: 01/15/03

On 03-01-15 18.27, "The Fungi" <fungi@yuggoth.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 09:46:09AM +0100, Torgny Bjers wrote:
> [...]
>> This flag also needs to go along with a check when the editor starts.  What
>> if I at one point am at home, with my nice *nix flavor box, and then go to
>> work, and sit in a MUD client?  I shouldn't have to toggle the editor mode,
>> the mud should detect that my terminal does not support the advanced editor
>> and simply send me into the basic one.
> [...]
>
> This is not as easy as it sounds. In fact, if you have knowledge of
> any CircleMUD tweaks to *reliably* support such things as automatic
> terminal type detection, ANSI color support detection, terminal
> geometry detection and so on, I'd be interested to hear it.

What I meant was exactly what you point out here.  Number one, it would
require modifications to comm.c and other places, right?  Secondly, if we do
not have proper auto-detection, I consider it a bad implementation layered
over an already existing system.  The menus in OasisOLC work, and they're
pretty intuitive.

So what I am saying is: If we cannot *reliably* provide these things with
the patch, I don't think we should even go there.

Regards,
/Torgny