Re: Telnet Options and Terminal Interaction

From: Torgny Bjers (artovil@arcanerealms.org)
Date: 01/15/03

On 03-01-15 23.41, "Greg Buxton" <gbuxton@maple.he.net> wrote:

>>> RFC 854 - Telnet Protocol Specification
>>> RFC 1091 - Terminal Type
>>> RFC 1073 - Negotiate About Window Size
>>
>> I knew it would come down to that in the end. I was just curious as
>> to whether anyone successfully implemented the above standards in a
>> Circle-derived MUD to that end, and if so would they be willing to
>> share code? I'm lazy enough to avoid any wheel-reinventing given the
>> opportunity, but this is basically what I will eventually wind up
>> writing and releasing when time permits.
>
> I'm not sure if it's so much having Circle coded with that in mind,
> but how many mud clients have followed the specs/RFCs properly?

Greg, I know, you're being sarcastic, I reply anyway.  I'd say few, except
for a couple of Linux based clients perhaps.

You'd probably have to use telnet directly to the MUD if you actually wanted
this to work the way you want it to.  For instance, it would not work if you
had a command line in your client, and your client might trap certain key
combinations (like esc m for menu or f10 or whatever), and so forth and so
on, ad nauseum.  Although, if you had a menu driven interface (like Jed) for
all the editors, perhaps then the whole "wedit" idea can come into effect,
where you could chose and editor in the menu, and so forth and so on.

Regards,
/Torgny