Re: disarm skill

From: Edward J Glamkowski (eglamkowski@angelfire.com)
Date: 05/31/03

>> But... just a thought... Shouldn't you se
>> the lost weapon back to null after it
>> wields it and perhaps even do it weather
>> or not it is successful.
>
>I'm also thinking that the disarmed weapon
>should go to inventory and not to the room.
>Could make it too easy for players to
>'steal' powerful weapons.

I don't know that this would be much of a
problem.  First of all, note that I divided
the skill by 3 before determining success,
so just because you have a 100% in the
skill, you still only have a 1 in 3 chance
of succeeding.  That can be modified to
divide by 4 or 5 if you are really upset
by this possibility.

You could also modify the roll by the
level of the wielder, or by the weight
of the weapon or any of a number of other
factors that would make it hard for heavy
duty weapons to be disarmed.

But there's also the practical aspect - if
the weapon is so powerful, it's probably
on a powerful mob, and needs a large group
to take down.  The associated spam from
the combat may cause the disarm message
to scroll right by unnoticed.  Especially
if the attackers are busy typing in other
commands and note closely watching for the
disarm message.

And in the end, the monster does pick the
weapon back up.  You could always move the
pick-up code out of mobile_activity and put
it somewhere else that happens more often
(say, perform_violence), or make a new
PULSE_foo for heartbeat().

So, I firmly believe that the weapon should
go to the room, but there are plenty of
ways to tweak it so the players have less
opportunity to grab it first.  In fact,
I think I will move it to perform_violence
:-)