Re: groups

From: Doc (doc@marble.bu.edu)
Date: 01/25/94

My problem with this is more related to a philosophical difference of
opinion, rather than any fault in your code.  Not only do I feel that
high-level characters should be able to lower level characters, I think
they should be  commended for it.  Of course,  when the level 30 char
takes an absolute (ie. neverr before played any mud) newbie  and just
levels  him  10 time and cuts him loose,this  is a  bad thing.  On the
other hand, who  is better able to answer questions about the mud than
an experinced player, who unlike an immortal, may demonstrate how the
muds various functions work simply by doing.
Perhaps a better  way of affecting this would be to change  the way
group exp is  divided.  One system  I have seen that I like involves
adding all the  levels of the party together, dividing that into the
exp, and then allocating one "share" per level to each party member.
Thus, in a group with two 20th level characters and one 5th level,
each 20th leveler  will get 20/45 of the  treasure, where  as the
5th leveler will only get 5/45.  This still lets   high levlers help out,
but negates a lot of  the advantage for mid-levels when the differnce
in level is  just too high.

Thoughts? Comments? Letters of love?
+doc

PS. "treasure" above should read "experience"