Re: groups (fwd)

From: Chris (cjackson@chrisjackson.async.vt.edu)
Date: 01/25/94

Forwarded message:

> My problem with this is more related to a philosophical difference of
> opinion, rather than any fault in your code.  Not only do I feel that
> high-level characters should be able to lower level characters, I think
> they should be  commended for it.  Of course,  when the level 30 char
> takes an absolute (ie. neverr before played any mud) newbie  and just
> levels  him  10 time and cuts him loose,this  is a  bad thing.  On the
> other hand, who  is better able to answer questions about the mud than
> an experinced player, who unlike an immortal, may demonstrate how the
> muds various functions work simply by doing.
> Perhaps a better  way of affecting this would be to change  the way
> group exp is  divided.  One system  I have seen that I like involves
> adding all the  levels of the party together, dividing that into the
> exp, and then allocating one "share" per level to each party member.
> Thus, in a group with two 20th level characters and one 5th level,
> each 20th leveler  will get 20/45 of the  treasure, where  as the
> 5th leveler will only get 5/45.  This still lets   high levlers help out,
> but negates a lot of  the advantage for mid-levels when the differnce
> in level is  just too high.
>
> Thoughts? Comments? Letters of love?
> +doc
>
> PS. "treasure" above should read "experience"

Our mud set this up differently.  Experience is doled out for each hit
(or miss) in battle, and extra for the death blow.  I found this system
works better to stop the people who just ride along and don't even
assist, but still get exp from a battle.

128.173.20.37 4000    D I S A S T E R   M U D

---
Chris Jackson                  | Chris Jackson
Department of Computer Science | 1025 Ambler Johnston Hall-West
Virginia Tech                  | Virginia Tech
cjackson@csugrad.cs.vt.edu     | Blacksburg, VA  24060-0022