Re: Thanks Jeff, just one more question

From: jason (jdm57406@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu)
Date: 04/09/94

The following was received from David Stanley Marchlik:
> Ok guys, so I am not coding gurus like you *bow*.  But cut me a little slack
> here. I am sure, you were once clueless like me, unless you were born genuises
>  I severly doubt that.  And I might be wrong but I think alot of people startt
> muds so that they can learn how to code (me).

yeah, tried that myself... ended up just waiting till I could learn from a
professional...
Running a MUD is not a good way to learn to code WELL....
Running a MUD IS a good way to practice what you already know, to learn it to
a level where you can apply your knowledge (which is what I am doing).  The
problem is is that not everyone out there writes good code...  if you learn
from them then you may be learning bad habits, even limiting habits.
You'd be better off taking some classes,  but I think perhaps the safe bet is
to find some good books on C, and more importantly, some good books on
algorithms in C, as this is what you shoudl learn to be a good coder.

> you don't want your mail to get clogged up with this crap, why did you reply
> just to criticize???  Get a clue guys.

The comments were not directed specifically at you

> Oh and furthermore Jeff's suggestion
> (I do appreciate your help Jeff) has NOTHING to do with the actual problem.
> So all you super duper smart guys put your head to gether and figure out
> something that many quite experienced coders can not even help me with.

Your problem...  You have a problem under a 80-some odd Meg OS...
If you could quote your problem in your mail we might be better put to hunt it
down for you....

-jason