Re: Skills and so!!

From: VampLestat (vamp@csulb.edu)
Date: 08/05/94

On Fri, 5 Aug 1994, Mathue Moyer wrote:

> >I'm not trying to sounds eliteist, but you really should learn to code
> >first before trying to implement a mud.  While many people have certainly
> >learned how to program because of their desire to implement a mud, its
> >rather disconcerting seeing people just asking for a simple "step by
> >step - how to add a new skill".  Next thing its gonna be the "Big Dummies
> >Guide to Implementing your own DIKU?"
> >
> >Pick up a good book on C and start reading and writing code.  Delve into
> >the mud code yourself and tweak things, play with it, recompile, watch it
> >crash horribly and then try again, but please dont ask people to do it all
> >for you, or give you the simple 7 step guide.
>
> I don't recall the person asking for code at all, in fact...

I dont recall ever saying he was requesting code.  Then again, I might be
wrong.  Read the above two paragraphs again.

> We can't all be perfect coders who memorize exactly where every change needs
> to go.

Indeed, I'm certainly not a perfect coder, but I know how to find some
basic things for myself.

_O_ Ryan L. Watkins                   e-mail: vamp@csulb.edu
 |  Academic Computing Services       url   : http://www.acs.csulb.edu/~vamp/
 |  CSU Long Beach - Network Support  pgpkey: finger vamp@gothic.acs.csulb.edu
    Darkside Consulting   -   Unix  /  Windows  /  Mac  /  Internet  /  Design