Re: recompressing circle

From: Mr. Wizard (jsbarrow@husc.harvard.edu)
Date: 09/02/94

On Thu, 1 Sep 1994, Giovanni Ruffini wrote:

> Hhmm... I know that this doesn't DIRECTLY pertain to the subject of this group,
> but I really don't know where else to turn, so please bear with me :)
> I want to make a backup copy of the work I've been doing on a modified circle
> 2.2, and it just doesn't seem worth it to me to ftp and download every file
> one at a time, and since I have touched almost every file, that'd be what I'd
> have to do if I can't figure out how to tar and compress entire trees of
> directories and everything that's contained therein. The man page hasn't helped
> me much; I know some of you guys must have done this with circle before.
> Could I bother you for a step by step how-to?
> Thanks so much,
> Nino

I think this works fine:

1.  From whatever directory you want to tar (the world directory in this
case), type 'cd ..' to get one level up.

2.  Type 'tar -cf [name of output file] [directory name]' will tar the
directory and all its sub-directories.

I think I usually do:

cd circle
tar -cf world.backup.tar world
compress world.backup.tar

And I end up with a file called world.backup.tar.Z

Hope that helps.

||  Joshua Sky Barrow  ||| Harvard University Faculty of Arts and Science ||
|| 19 Central St., #28 ||| "If you can imagine it, you can achieve it.    ||
|| Somerville, MA      |||  If you can dream it, you can become it."      ||
|| 02143-3832          |||                                   Unknown      ||
|| (617) 666-0859      ||| E-mail:  jsbarrow@fas.harvard.edu              ||