Re: compressing circle files, etc.

From: VampLestat (vamp@csulb.edu)
Date: 09/07/94

On Wed, 7 Sep 1994, Giovanni Ruffini wrote:

> I asked here about a week ago for help recompressing circle as a means of
> making back-up copies of your code, etc. Having followed your instructions
> dutifully, I have ended up w/ a .tar.Z file some 4.5 megs in size, which
> strikes my relatively untrained eye as MUCH TOO LARGE, ie something that
> would take almost an hour to ftp. Although I did do a lot of area writing
> and a fair bit of code modifiction, I certainly didn't think it was that
> much...

If you're compressing the entire circle subdirectory, you're probabaly
getting all the .o files as well, and for the entire circle distribution,
that really adds up fast.

I'd really suggest you pick up a good book on Unix to learn more about
unix command and how to get around, rather than asking here.  I'd
suggest "Unix Power Tools" published by O'Rilley and Associates, or dig
up the list of good unix books off the net (probably archived at
rtfm.mit.edu).  I'd also suggest reading the man pages a couple times.

> Is there a way quicker than ftp to move files around?

Sneakernet?

> Can I use mail to send the .tar.Z?

No.  A .Z file is a binary file.  You dont want to mail binary file, much
less 4.5 meg binary files.  Uuencode it and split it into (lots
of) multiple parts if you really have to mail it.

> or should I just try to compress again, assuming I did something wrong?

might try gzip rather than compress.  gzip gives better compression.

> And again, sorry for the not necessarily relevant-ness of this message :)

Please, just pick up a good book on unix and start reading.  I'd probably
solve most of your basic questions.

_O_ Ryan L. Watkins                   e-mail: vamp@csulb.edu