index_data

From: Matt Read (mjr@doc.ic.ac.uk)
Date: 09/09/94

I'm writing to the mailing list with this to get general comments that might
point me in the right direction so don't hesitate to point out anything
that I'm missing from my ideas.

The situation is this:
I want to change the obj_index.number (which is normally the number of each
object existing in the game at any time) to be the number of each object
existing in the game and in the rent files at any time.

My dilemma is this:
There are a number of ways I can check this, I can either
	a) search the rent files at boot time and only at boot time;
	b) search the rent files every x pulses while game is running; or
	c) search the rent files whenever a new instance of an object is
	   going to be brought into the game.

My opinion is that option c) would provide the most accurate means of
controlling the number of objects in the game but I think it would involve
an awful lot of time spent searching rent files. The other options obviously
have their pros and cons - so tell me, which shall I use?

If my dim-witted mind has neglected to mention any important aspects of the
situation please excuse me or something...

		Thanks, Free.