Re: Code thats out there!

From: Giao H Phan (gphan@sas.upenn.edu)
Date: 06/16/95

Anthony Spataro wrote:
> I haven't heard of 'em at all..unless you're talking about a long
> double.  I know under Borland C's DOS compiler, a long double is 80 bits,
> but I was under the impression that it wasn't ANSI, portable, or even
> especially kosher for use in everyday code.  You could also just use an
> array of long[2] and write an intelligent function-like macro to figure
> out which long to compare with, but you'll run smack up against word
> ordering on different machines, as well as the cases where you need to
> check bits from both elements of the array.

huh? hows this long[2] stuff work? how can you tell what long it's
referencing? the machine cant tell the diff between macros. the whole
point to a var that can hold multiple bits is to be able to use it
seamlessly. telling the macro what var to search thru defeats the entire
purpose. if i no beforehand that i'm searchin var 1, i might as well be
callin it a new macro name anyway. right? maybe i jest misunderstood, grin.
-dert