Re: Code thats out there!

From: Anthony Spataro (ads@netcom.com)
Date: 06/16/95

On Thu, 15 Jun 1995, Giao H Phan wrote:

> on wizbits, as an aside to hex, have you guys started using that idea
> whereby you could stuff like 80 bits into one var? i heard some bits and
> pieces from pythe or fred about some sorta linked long shit or somethin,
> i dunno... wonderin anything ever came of that, and if so, what? ;}

I haven't heard of 'em at all..unless you're talking about a long
double.  I know under Borland C's DOS compiler, a long double is 80 bits,
but I was under the impression that it wasn't ANSI, portable, or even
especially kosher for use in everyday code.  You could also just use an
array of long[2] and write an intelligent function-like macro to figure
out which long to compare with, but you'll run smack up against word
ordering on different machines, as well as the cases where you need to
check bits from both elements of the array.

 _/\_   GU -d H s : g? p5 au- a17 w v- C UL P L 3- E---- N K- W--- M-- V-- po
/ L  \  Y t 5 j-- R G---- tv-- b D B--- e u*(**) h! f !r !n !y+
  \/    My life as an instruction: xchg   al,al

I have great faith in fools -- self confidence my friends call it.
		-- Edgar Allan Poe